This recipe is so easy you can even make it if you’ve had a couple wines or brewskies. For a Gluten-free option, skip the pearl barley and just use beans. As most of Em’s recipes are, this is also Vegan.
You will need:
- 200g pearl barley
- 300g mixed dried beans (any mixture will do)
- 3 large potatoes, scrubbed but not peeled, and diced into med-sized chunks
- 400g tin crushed tomato
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 head broccoli, flowers and stalks, sliced
- 4-6 c fresh silver beet, chopped
- 2 T. olive oil
- Spices: about 1 tsp of each or to taste – crushed salt, cracked pepper, cayenne pepper, turmeric, dill seed, dried chives. You can add any other spices that you may like. A bayleaf might be a good idea too.
- Soak pearl barley and beans all day (to cook this meal in the evening), drain and rinse several times then cover with fresh water, simmer in a big pot on low-med heat
- Prepare your onion, garlic, and vegetables (wash them and get chopping!)
- At this stage you can dump the potatoes into the bean mixture and continue to simmer
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil
- Add the spices
- Once yummy-looking add the broccoli and heat through
- Dump the saute concoction into the bean/potato concoction. Stir with some energy!
- Dump in crushed tomato
- Mix in the silver beet and cook through, give it another good stir. Once the silver beet has gone all limp you know it’s pretty much done.
- Taste-test. If it needs more salt, spice or whatever add it.
This makes 5-6 hearty portions. And it’s so healthy (high in vegetable-based protein, fibre, vitamins, minerals, carbohydrate and low in fat) there’s no need to worry about the nutirtional content. You pretty much can’t go wrong with this recipe. Bon appetite!